Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Family Life


I was talking with our Pastor, Jennifer Hollar, the other day on the phone and I mentioned how I feel somewhat guilty that I don't have Carigan in any kind of classes like we did with Camille when she was that age. With Camille starting school this year, I already spend about 40 min in the jeep four times a week. It has been a huge adjustment for our family, yet I have a feeling that I will look back at this time in my life and think I had it made. Anyways, I don't want Carigan to be disappointed later down the road when she finds out that bigger sister got to do so many different things and she didn't. I know we will eventually have her in something, but I still was feeling the "Guilty Mom Syndrome". I don't want to be a mom running my children around on crazy schedules!!! We would all be miserable!!! But, I do want to give them opportunities to find their niche.


Jennifer said something to me that will change my perspective forever. She has 4 children and has a much tougher task than I do. She told me that her children don't know crazy schedules either, but what they do know is Family Life.


A light bulb went off! What a beautiful and simple statement! That is what we have and my children know so well....Family Life!!! My kids know Saturday mornings with Daddy's pancakes, they know Dad getting home around 4pm everyday during the week, they know obstacle courses in the living room, movie nights with Mom and Dad, girls day out with me, and they know a huge playroom up stairs that they can play in anytime. Family Life...I never thought of it as an experience before, but it so is! What great memories they will have growing up. I never will feel guilty again! It made me so grateful for what we have as a family. Thanks Jen!!!

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

Don't worry, I've felt the guilt too. Poor James, by this age with Madeline we did Mommy & Me swim class and Tumbling Gymnastics...not to mention we were heavily involved with the MOMS club. I have yet to enroll James in anything. I think it's just easier to consume yourself with all those activities with your first born.

But your pastor is right...most importantly are we providing a loving family life for our children? I would say so. :)